Beer contains 47 polyphenols including apigenin

Researchers from the School of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, showed that beer contains 47 phenolic compounds and 7 of them was identified for the first time including apigenin.

Dr. Paola Quifer-Rada and colleagues say beer is the second most consumed alcoholic beverage in Europe and shown by the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort study to be the main food contributor to hydroxybenzoic acid intake. About 70–80% of the total polyphenol content in beer comes from malt, and the remaining 30–20% from hops.


In this work, they used liquid chromatography coupled with an electrospray ionization hybrid linear ion trap quadrupole Orbitrap mass spectrometry technique for an accurate identification of beer polyphenols


47 phenolic compounds were identified using high mass accuracy and confirmed by MS2experiments, including simple phenolic acids, hydroxycinnamoylquinics, flavanols, flavonols, flavones, alkylmethoxyphenols, alpha- and iso-alpha-acids, hydroxyphenylacetic acids and prenylflavonoids.


They stated that as far as we know, 7 of these compounds have been recognised in beer for the first time: feruloylquinic acid, caffeic acid-O-hexoside, coumaric acid-O-hexoside, sinapic acid-O-hexoside, catechin-O-dihexoside, kaempferol-O-hexoside, and apigenin-C-hexoside-pentoside.

Highlights of the study
Phenolic profile of 4 types of beer has been analyzed by high resolution mass spectrometry.
Phenolic profile among the four types of beers was very similar.
47 phenolic compounds were identified, 7 of them are described in beer for the first time.

If you like this post please share so that more people can learn.


Quifer-Rada P, Vallverdú-Queralt A, Martínez-Huélamo M, Chiva-Blanch G, Jáuregui O, Estruch R, Lamuela-Raventós R. A comprehensive characterisation of beer polyphenols by high resolution mass spectrometry (LC-ESI-LTQ-Orbitrap-MS). Food Chem. 2015 ;169:336-43. doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.07.154

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...